Salary: £23k + Pool Car & Benefits
Job Title: Operations Manager
Hours: Full-Time (Plus on-call)
Area: Portsmouth (Waterlooville)*
*The post holder will need to permanently live/reside within a close radius to the location of the base but must be able to travel to other sites when needed.
About the Role & Jigsaw Medical
Jigsaw Medical is an award-winning, UK market leader in the Ambulance, Clinical Services and Medical Training sector, with brands incorporating Jigsaw Training. We operate across multiple locations within the UK. Due to expansion, an exciting career opportunity has arisen within the Jigsaw operations team for two Base Operations Managers, based at our operational bases in Buckingham and Portsmouth.
The successful individual will be expected to work alongside the Head of Operations to lead a team of clinical and operational staff to ensure maximum operational requirements are achieved and produce an enjoyable workplace for our team to operate within.
The post holder will cover part of our southern and eastern areas of operations for Jigsaw Medical Services daily and assist with out of hours ‘on-call’ services, should escalation be required by our operational clinical teams, and be prepared to work a shift rota Monday – Friday and rotational on call at weekends.
Package includes: Access to company pool cars, laptop, phone and private healthcare package.
At Jigsaw Medical we believe in people being at the heart of our success, we are proud of our creative and positive working environment and strive to make sure our team enjoys coming to work. The post holder will be responsible for the delivery of high-quality day-to-day management of Jigsaw Medical locations within a geographical area for all aspects, including for example fleet, estates, equipment and ordering of consumables etc.
You will also support the clinical team leaders through collaborative leadership in giving advice to Paramedics, Technicians, Emergency Care Assistants and PTS crews within the team. The position requires the post holder to have experience in supervision/management of operations, staff and fleet. This role is non-clinical but would require the post holder to have basic knowledge of ambulance operations and meet Jigsaw Medical Services Ltd safe recruitment procedures.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Procurement of medical supplies and consumables from preferred suppliers.
- Provide supervision, leadership and support to all staff within the Jigsaw team.
- Respond to incidents involving Jigsaw Medical staff and vehicles, and to act as managerial support and liaise between the scene and Jigsaw Medical senior management team.
- Attend or support the senior management team in the monthly clinical and operational meetings with the operations team and NHS partners.
- The post holder may also be required to work at any of the company’s sites in line with Jigsaw Medical Services Ltd needs to cover staff sickness and holiday.
- Manage and mentor staff encouraging crews to engage with for Continuous Professional Development Sessions (CPD) and to ensure continual improvement is driven with all individuals within the team to meet the high CDP standards required by the organisation.
- Actively participate in undertaking operational audits (in line with Jigsaw Medical’s policy), disseminating audit findings and actively leading the implementation of changes to protocol and/or procedure following consultation with the other colleagues within the team
- The applicant will be required to work from our Operational Base. However, national travel will be required. The applicant will also have a flexible approach to the working week, i.e. weekends will be part of the working week.
- Lead and manage the processes, which ensure the principles of operational requirements are embedded in practice and assist with clinical audits and appraisals of all crew members.
- Maintain accurate records of vehicle repair, service maintenance engaging with the Fleet Manager whilst maintaining cleaning and deep clean records.
- To assist in operational investigations when required reporting to the Head of Operations.
- Conduct routine drug audits as requested by the Clinical Management team for stock levels (non-controlled).
- Provide support to the Operational and Clinical Governance team when requested.
- Induct new team members into relevant local processes of Jigsaw Medical Services and Operational Procedures.
- Maintain regular communication with Ambulance Control regarding updates and changes to personnel and/or vehicle availability and movements. Report & record all delays or waiting time incurred. Ensure hospital clear up times and mobilisation times are maintained to national standards together with all relevant specific KPI’s for clients
- To plan and organise own workload within tight timescales and to set and work to agreed objectives.
- To work to the values of Jigsaw Medical Services Ltd and display high standards of integrity and professionalism towards clients and colleagues. To continuously develop and update own knowledge and skills within the job role and contribute to setting own work objectives.
- To demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with Directors, managers, clients and colleagues at all levels both internally and externally.
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the post as may be assigned from time to time which is consistent with the operational nature of the post.
Conflict of Interest will be considered when applying for this post and during continued employment.
Please send your covering letter and CV to or complete the form below:
Mr John Lavin – Head of Operations
Jigsaw Medical Services
Units 3-4 The Oaks
Stanney Mill Lane
Tel: 01829 732615
To apply for the role, please send a copy of your current CV and a covering letter (maximum 800 words); explaining how you feel your experience matches the requirements of the job description and person specification.
Please include your full contact details and mention where you found out about the role. Please also include the names of two professional referees, including your most recent or last employer. Please note that referees will not be approached without your prior knowledge, and only following a successful application and final interview.